|fulltext etc.||no fulltext attached|
A unique approach to information overload, combining theory and
Written and edited by an international group of experts from academia and industry, Information Overload clearly links academic theory to real-world practice, providing a truly global and interdisciplinary treatment of this important topic.
Emphasizing the role of engineers and technical communicators, the book discusses the root causes and costs of information overload within organizations and introduces strategies and proven techniques for reducing information overload and minimizing its negative impact. It offers a theoretical framework and ideas for future research, and features special chapter 'insight boxes' that recount different approaches to problems from various multinational corporations.
* Focuses on key definitions and challenges of information overload for both communicators and organizations
* Details a variety of technical and human-centered strategies for addressing the deluge of data
* Presents effective solutions tried at IBM, Xerox, and Harris Corporation
* Examines the effects of culture as well as that of color, visual form, text, and end-user documentation
* Offers an engineering perspective on the technologies available for dealing with information overload
Information Overload also serves as a first-rate survival manual for researchers in academia, practicing engineers, technical communicators, and managers and professionals at all levels of profit and nonprofit organizations.
|type||book chapter (English)|
|book title||Information Overload: An International Challenge for Professional Engineers and Technical Communicators|
|editor||Judith B. Strother, Zohra Fazal, Jan M. Ulijn|
|date of appearance||2012|
|publisher||John Wiley & Sons (Hoboken, New Jersey)|
|volume / edition||1. Auflage Oktober 2012|
|citation||Mengis, J., & Eppler, M. J. (2012). Visualizing instead of Overloading: Exploring the Promise and Problems of Visual Communication to Reduce Information Overload. In Strother, J. B. ., Fazal, Z., & Ulijn, J. M. . (Eds.), Information Overload: An International Challenge for Professional Engineers and Technical Communicators (pp. 203-230). Hoboken, New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons, DOI:10.1002/9781118360491.ch10. - ISBN 978-1-118-23013-8.|