• 2014 Shin Research Excellence Award, awarded by the International Insurance Society for “Insurability of Cyber Risk: An Empirical Analysis” (with Christian Biener and Jan Wirfs).
• 2014 Best Article, awarded by the Casualty Actuarial Society for “Do Underwriting Cycles Matter? An Analysis Based on Dynamic Financial Analysis”, published in: Variance, Vol. 6, 2012, No. 2, S. 131–142 (with Sebastian Marek).
• 2014 KPMG's Global Valuation Institute Research Funding, awarded by KPMG for “Common Risk Factors of Infrastructure Firms” (with Semir Ben Ammar).
• 2013 Best Perspectives Article, awarded by the American Risk and Insurance Association for “What Do We Know About Market Discipline in Insurance?”, published in: Risk Management & Insurance Review, Vol. 15, 2012, No.2, pp. 185-223.
• 2013 Highly Commended Award Winner for 2012, Journal of Risk Finance (Literati Network Awards for Excellence) for "Market-Consistent Embedded Value in Non-Life Insurance: How to Measure It and Why" (with D. Diers, C. Kraus and A. Reuss).
• 2011 Kessler Preis 2010 for “The Performance of Hedge Funds and Mutual Funds in Emerging Markets”, published in: Journal of Banking & Finance, Vol. 34, 2010, No. 8, S. 1993–2009 (with Roger Faust).
• 2010 Kooperationspreis Wissenschaft-Wirtschaft 2010 (University of Ulm), awarded for the cooperation with the Microinsurance Network, Luxembourg, part of the project "Microinsurance and Efficiency in the International Insurance Industry" (funded by the German Research Foundation DFG)
• 2010 Lehrbonus für das Jahr 2010, awarded by the senate of the University of Ulm for excellence in teaching (nominated by the students)
• 2010 Spencer L. Kimball Award, awarded by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners for “An Overview and Comparison of Risk-Based Capital Standards,” published in: Journal of Insurance Regulation, Vol. 26, 2008, No. 4, pp. 31-60 (with Ines Holzmüller).
• 2009 Best Article, awarded by the Casualty Actuarial Society for “Management Strategies and Dynamic Financial Analysis,“ published in: Variance, Vol. 2, 2008, No. 1, pp. 52-70 (with Thomas Parnitzke and Hato Schmeiser).
• 2008 Best Perspectives Article, awarded by the American Risk and Insurance Association for “The Solvency II Process: Overview and Critical Analysis,” published in: Risk Management & Insurance Review, Vol. 10, 2007, No. 1, pp. 69-85 (with Hato Schmeiser and Joan T. Schmit).
• 2006 Acatis-Value-Preis (second place) for dissertation thesis “Hedgefonds-Strategien und ihre Performance im Asset Management von Finanzdienstleistungsunternehmen“, published in: Finanzierung, Kapitalmarkt und Banken, Band 45, Eul-Verlag, Lohmar, 2006.
• 2003 Best of 118 alumni with degree “Diplom-Kaufmann“ at the University of Münster in summer 2003, awarded with the zeb/rolfes. schierenbeck-Award